Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Icicle Mushrooms...

Anybody that knows me - knows that I LOVE snow! 
 
I always have - it is peaceful to me. 
 
So a couple of Saturdays ago - we got our first "sleigh-riding" snow -  much better than just a skiff of snow which is what we usually get around here - plus it was warm enough to go outside and enjoy it - because lately we have been in a brrrrrrr....DEEP FREEZE.
 
As I was out - I ventured down to our cave and this is what I found...
 
Icicle Mushrooms - that's the name I'm giving them. 
 
 
See, the cave is right in behind our home.  The picnic table stays down there because it is beautiful in the summer, the water always trickling, plus it stays a cool 58 degrees.  So when it is super hot during garden time, we break beans and shuck corn right there at the table. 
 
Heck, right now - 58 degrees sounds like a heat wave!!!!
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
It's just a hop, skip and a jump down the hill from the cabin.
 
 
As the ice had dripped from the top of the cave - these beautiful little glass-like mushrooms were rising up from the rocks.
 
 
 
A few were on the rock ledges just inside the cave.
 
 
 
 
 I just thought they were simply beautiful.
 
 
If it weren't for one of our barn quilts, the old barn would have been nearly invisible that day...   
 
 
The cabin sat quietly...
 
 
But even in the peaceful "quite" of the snow, we had to have a lil' fun too.
 
 
Happy memories made that day!
 
 
 
Stay Warm, Have Fun and enjoy Happy Winter Days!
 
 

12 comments:

Chris said...

Hi Cathy, looks like you are enjoying your winter a lot more than I am enjoying our snow, LOL I'm just stopping by to say how delightful your blog is. Thanks so much for sharing. I have recently found your blog and am now following you, and will visit often. Please stop by my blog and perhaps you would like to follow me also. Have a wonderful day. Hugs, Chris
http://chelencarter-retiredandlovingit.blogspot.ca/

Lisa @ Fern Creek Cottage said...

Such a beautiful place where you live! Those ice mushrooms are really cool! I've never seen anything like it!

Unknown said...

Loved, loved,loved the pictures of the mushroom icicles and the save. Thank you for sharing, and have a happy Thursday.

Amy Kinser said...

I agree!!! Beautiful!! That cave is wonderful as are the mushrooms. The barn is gorgeous and the cabin fabulous! Thank you for sharing the beauty around your home. Stay warm and keep having fun!

cindy said...

Oh how absolutely lovely! What a peaceful spot you live on. :)

Laurie said...

Cathy, you live in a beautiful place. I agree, the snow makes everything seem so peaceful. And I love your barn quilt. Are you a part of the Quilt Trail? I saw lots of them on a trip to NC a couple of years ago.

Melinda said...

What a fun way to spend the day.
Those "mushrooms" are cool!

M : )

Nancy @ Wrapped In Love said...

How neat to have a "cave" in your backyard! I have never seen Ice Mushrooms!

Nancy

Jess said...

Just beautiful! Your are a lucky family to have those surroundings!

Heather said...

I have never seen ice mushrooms
..they are beautiful!

Unknown said...

OK!!! Took me forever to figure out how to get to comment, but "I'm fixed" now!!! I DO LOVE all your Christmas things and loved that you mentioned that I aggravated you so bag that you just had to "just do it" like Nike!!! You know I could stay at your house for a week and look at everything you've got and turn everything over twice and look in all the drawers and ask 10 questions about all your stuff!!! I could have just hid in your house and stayed for Christmas if I would not have missed my own so much! Thank you SO much for posting! We enjoyed you and Shaun so much for Valentines Extravaganza!!! We'll have to do that again...maybe in the summer. You are one special gal! Love you to pieces!

Farmhouse Primitives said...

Cathy, I don't get to visit your blog near as often as I'd like, but I ALWAYS enjoy your posts so very much. And what a wonderful spot to enjoy at your home....this cozy cave. You take care. Think of you and the peas often. Hugs, Pammie