Monday, June 10, 2013

Having a "hay day"...


Hi friends - yes, I'm still here!   I've survived another greenhouse season, spent many nights at the baseball park this last month (which I LOVE watching my lil' man play ball) and we've been trying to get caught up on the farm chores.  A couple of weeks ago - it was hay cutting time.  Luckily this year - the weather cooperated - which makes my hubby a lot less "stressed".
 
Now it is all neat in the barn....
 
 
but here is how it got there...
 
Tractors being fueled...
 
 
...rakes at the ready...
 
 
 
Shaun with the John Deer and disc mower cutting down the hay...  I helped cut too but I have no pictures for proof ;-)
 
 
...all cut...
 
 
...a day or two later - it was time to tedder the hay - which turns up the "green" on the bottom so it can cure out...  And by the way - I did most of this - I'm just saying...
 
 
...raked in big wind rolls...
 
 
...we actually hire out our rolling since we don't have a roller - so this is Paul taking a break with a DQ blizzard I brought him...
 
 
...I think we had 111 rolls off of this cutting...
 
 
Final step - Shaun hauling it to the barn.
 
 
We are always so thankful for a good hay crop.
 
Happy Summer!
 
I'll have lots to share in the coming days...
 

10 comments:

NanaDiana said...

I love haying season-unless I got stuck in the hay mow stacking the bales. I loved to run the tractor and work on the wagon...even though it was hot, sweaty work. There is nothing in the world like fresh mown hay- xo Diana

Melinda said...

Glad that you are still here!
Wow! Lots of hay. I bet YOU are
glad that's done.

Looking forward to seeing what else
you are up to.

: o )

Stacey said...

Wonderful!

Joe said...

Nice pics of your hay making. I've been helping a farmer buddy of I'm with his hay making.

lita marie said...

What a lovely world you have.....Wonderful inside and out..... lita marie

Holly said...

I call that "the twirly thing" ...the one that fluffs it all up! I've always wanted to do that!!! Lots of hay cutting around here too. I love all the photos of your beautiful farm life!

Dori at The Red Feedsack said...

Hi Cathy - I enjoyed your hay post... I wrote one a few weeks ago about our hay crop!! We got 109 bales from our pasture! I love those beautiful round bales. Sounds like your summer is off to a great start! ~ Dori ~

Tamara Jansen said...

There is no end to the work when you are a farmer :)

Rasonda @ East Conolly Cottage said...

This makes me want to pick up and move to the country. I love your world!! I am your newest follower and am featuring part of your laundry room in a post tomorrow if thats ok with you. I just loooove that faucet.

Linda @ DesignInMyView said...

Cathy, I have just found you and greatly enjoy your home and the farm life you are sharing with us all. Black Pearl is the sweetest girl so it's clear that Casen's hard work and focus (you can see in his face) will pay off in all his shows this summer.

"Windrows" are the result of the raking step before bailing or rolling. I can remember this (but looked it up just now to be certain) as the wind can dry the hay between the rows. Your photos are bringing back many good memories for me of my years growing up on farmland - Thank you!