Thursday, June 26, 2008

It's Soooo Easy!

OOPS, sorry, this picture needs to be at the bottom ... Read on
Before...
In Progress...
All Done!



Well, back when we first married I decided to tile underneath our cabinets - now we are only talking about a total of 6 ft. (3 ft. on each side of sink) - so it's a very small amount. I should have known then not to pick a specific color, but I did and in no time, I was tired of it. I should know better, I like to change WAAAAYYYY to much. So a couple of years ago, I painted the tile with just latex paint and covered up the color. So then I was unhappy it was so plain - imagine that. I'd been thinking about painting on the tiles myself but lucky me, I was in Wal-Mart looking for Bible School supplies and found those rub on decals in black. They were perfect - so I snatched up two packages - around 3.00 each I believe. It took me about 10 minutes to put them on and VIOLA - looks like hand painted tiles. LOOOOVE IT! There are all kinds of patterns - maybe you could find one that would enhance your space!

My second tidbit for today is about of all things, SQUASH. One of my sweet customers brought me all kinds of squash yesterday fresh from the garden and I was wondering what I was gonna do with all of it. We love fried squash and I have tried several squash casseroles but browsing through one of the local church's cookbooks - I found Squash Patties. They reminded me of "tater cakes" so I thought I'd try them - YUUUMMMMMYYYYY! They were so good so I thought I'd share with you this simple recipe.

SQUASH PATTIES
2c. grated yellow squash
1/4 c. self-rising flour
1/3 c. self-rising corn meal
1 small onion, chopped
1 egg, beaten
Salt and Pepper to taste

Mix all ingredients together. Spoon out into hot greased frying pan (you can use olive oil). Brown on both sides and drain.

Have a great weekend friends - hope you are getting lots of delicious veggies from your gardens.

Cathy Cobblestone


9 comments:

Ada Mae said...

Lovew the tiles. I went to a "decal" party not long ago. Have you heard of them?
I'm gonna try the squash recipe as soon as mine come in. I usually slice them and dip them in a similar mixture then fry. I like the patty idea.

tincanlily said...

I wish I had tile in my kitchen, because I would be painting it right now. I did not know you could use latex paint. Did you have to prime it first? The decals are great...
Great squash recipe...I love to use whatever vegetable is in season. Not squash season here yet, but soon.
have a wondeful weekend!
denise

Anonymous said...

What a fabulous idea. I used the same rub on transfer on some plates I will be giving to my sister-in-law.

Blanca

Cathy Cobblestone said...

Hey Denise - I should have mentioned that I did prime it - sorry about that. I'm sure the paint would slide right off if you didn't.

Hope your garden comes in real soon! Nothing better than homegrown goodies! Have a great weekend! Cathy

Linda - Behind My Red Door said...

OH My! I have all those ingredients on hand so I know what's gonna be on our dinner plates tonight!

Great idea with the tiles!

hugs, Linda

Linda - Behind My Red Door said...

I had to come back and tell you I did make the squash cakes. I only had corn flour so I used that instead of meal - it's just finer - and they came out WONDERFUL. I am going to post a photo tomorrow.

hugs, Linda

Cathy Cobblestone said...

Glad you tried them Linda - I agree, they are so yummy! I'll see what other squash recipes I can find - you gotta get creative while they are coming in the garden 'cause they don't last long. Have a beautiful weekend! Cathy

Lisa Pogue said...

Wow, I love the tiles. I really need to do tile in my kitchen. It's so outdated.

Momma Truitt said...

The squash patties look SOOOOO good! I actually think my kiddos would try these!! Thanks for sharing! :)