Friday, September 18, 2015

Chicken Feeder turned Fall Table Centerpiece...



 I have always wanted a chicken feeder like this but had never been fortunate enough to come up on one...but luckily...


 ...the other day at our local antique mall - I SCORED!  I didn't even look at the price before I picked it up and decided it had to go home with me.  It wasn't over the top expensive BUT it was little more than I expected.  Plus it still contained a left over feather or two and some nice dried up chicken droppings.  Oh well, nothing a good scrubbing couldn't fix.

It was super long - like 4 feet plus.  It had this neat bar across the top but I had to remove that in order to fix it like I wanted.

I had some gourds and three little ornamental cabbage I had intended on using.   I had to scratch the cabbage because I wanted to use it on my table and I knew it wouldn't fair that well inside plus all that dirt on my kitchen table - not the best idea!


So I began by folding up some old material I had so that all my fixin's didn't sink down to the bottom.  I simply rolled up about three big pieces and laid it in there.

 Next I topped it off with a layer of burlap because I knew some of it would be showing.


I began by simply layering in the gourds...


 ...Then I added in a little shredded grass for texture, a few walnuts and pine cones for some interest.



...took it inside and put it right down the middle of the table.  It is narrow and doesn't get in the way and I love it - just something a bit different.



I'm already thinking about what I'm going to put in it for Christmas.  I'm thinking candles and fresh greenery...but till then...I think we will enjoy it like it is.


Happy Fall Decorating!

Cathy

4 comments:

ℳartina @ Northern Nesting said...

Cathy that looks so pretty...love it!!

Sunflowers With Smiles said...

Lovely centerpiece. It looks so pretty. Yes it would like nice with greens for the holidays too!

Lisa @ Fern Creek Cottage said...

What a great piece! I love it!

Kim said...

That's really cute!