Saturday, January 24, 2015

My First Project of the New Year...


 Yes, I know - I haven't been very productive...but I've been enjoying the quite of winter with my family.  It won't be long and things will be in overdrive!  I start seeding in the greenhouse in just a couple of weeks and baseball is just around the corner.  Hope your time spent indoors this winter is restful!

So even though I haven't been very productive with big projects - I have accomplished a few small ones,  one of which being this small filing cabinet.  My craft closet was getting kind of out of control - especially with all the "little" stuff - like stamps and ink, and glue and tags, and scissors and wood burners...well, and...and...and....- you get the picture.


So a while back I had spotted this lil' filing cabinet at our local antique mall.  I just love all those drawers!  I could see the potential but it was just a bit more than I wanted to spend.  I pondered it for several weeks and finally I just treated myself!  After all, it would make for some great organization PLUS - I knew it would be to cute all painted up!

It had a few places where the paint was peeling and it was a tad rusty...

Nothing that a lil' sandpaper couldn't fix...

Be sure to always sand until you get a smooth edge.


Next I cleaned the cabinet well - and let me just say there were some interesting things on this cabinet - dirty is an understatement! I then sprayed the entire cabinet with gray primer for metal surfaces...

Seems like no matter how hard I try to get away from green - I keep going back to it.  I love this color... "Leafy Green" from Rust-oleum - reminds me of spring!
 

Snowball kept his distance yet he kept an eye on what I was doing.  He wasn't for sure what to think of me when I was shaking those spray paint cans -all the while channeling Taylor Swift's "Shake It Off".  I'm glad no one else was watching! ;-)


This cabinet has 30 drawers - yep... took a while to paint all those little drawers.

This paint has great coverage - two coats and I was ready to take it inside - with Shaun's help of course.  It may be small but it is heavy!

I simply cut some kraft paper to size and used some of my small stamps to label the drawers.  


You can see - all of those drawers are already being put to great use.  I love it - feeling all organized.  Now, only if the rest of my house was like this.


It fit perfectly at the base of our steps - right outside my craft closet.  I'm glad I decided to treat myself  with this cabinet.  It's nothing fancy - but I'm sure it will be a piece that will be serviceable for years to come.

Happy Winter Friends!

Cathy



9 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh that's beautiful :)
I'd love something like that to hold all my little nick nacks and bits and pieces.
A great project and i shall be looking out for one of my own now!haha :)

Melinda said...

A D O R A B LE!

Great job. Looks good there by your stairs.

M : )

ℳartina @ Northern Nesting said...

I love it Cathy...it looks perfect in that spot!

Breathing In Grace said...

We all need to treat ourselves sometimes. You did a great job painting it. But organization?What's that? :)Happy winter! ps...love your header

Valerie Cottage Making Mommy said...

I love it Cathy.

Kim said...

Awesome, love the idea!

Karen said...

My dear . . . you have SO much more patience than I will ever have:) ALL THOSE DRAWERS??!!! It exhausts me looking at it - but my! Didn't it turn out great! WELL DONE YOU!

Gail said...

I need a file like that.

Looks great.

Mary said...

Love the cabinet! I'm still at the stage of wanting one but not wanting to spend the money.. This inspired me to go for it one of these days! I like the green color..