Wednesday, September 17, 2014

My New/Old Desk...

Well, I love a bargain but a bargain doesn't always look exactly like what you had in mind.  Believe it or not, we have been in our home nearly 3 years now and I still didn't have the right desk.  My sister was kind enough to let me borrow her old one - but it wasn't quite the right scale.  So, I've been patient - and I suppose a little "tight" when it comes to buying a new desk.  I mean lets face it - who doesn't love the desks in Pottery Barn - but sometimes - that is just not in the budget.  But...
 
 
...a 20 dollar desk is certainly within reach.  I recently found this old school desk at the Mission Store - it was turned up on its side and I just really liked the simple lines of it plus it just felt like it a neat history to it.  I remember my teachers having these types of desks when I was in grade school - like FOREVER ago!
 
 
It was orangey-brown and dirty but it had good bones - so I bought it.  I was looking forward to giving this solid wood desk a good home.
 
 
I had some thin plywood leftover from a previous project.... 
 
 
 I simply rubbed some paint on them and immediately wiped off the excess for a lighter look.
 
 
Don't tell anyone - but I just hot glued them to the front of the desk to add a little interest.  I didn't have any good wood glue - so when all else fails - bring out the trusty glue gun!
 
 
I really like this simple added detail.
 
 
I left this little slide-out unpainted...
 
 
It has great wooden dividers in the drawers...
 
 
...A really nice big top - perfect for lots of paperwork - even though honestly, most of our "paperwork" is done at the kitchen table ;-)
 
 
It fit nicely into the space...
 
 
...Plus I get to look out the window when I sit there and enjoy my window box.
 
 
So I'm pleased with my $20.00 fixer upper.  Speaking of "Fixer Upper" - is that not the greatest show on HGTV right now? I simply LOOOOOOVE IT!  Can't wait for next season!
 
 
Hope you are enjoying some fall decorating - I'll share a little of mine with you next!
 
 

6 comments:

Stacey said...

Perfection!

Melinda said...

Looks great! Love the added detail to the front. Mr. Ken's
old desk is my sewing table.

Love Fixer Upper! Chip and Joanna
are way to funny but they are both very talented.

M :)

Dori at The Red Feedsack said...

Cathy,

It's BEAUTIFUL!!!! I love the contrast of the little wooden pull-out. And the drawer dividers... perfect. Sad they don't really make things like that anymore huh? It's just gorgeous. My eyes went immediately to the print in the background of one of the pictures.... the one with the cows. Where did you get that? I love it. I've been on the look out for something "cow" for my living room... have even considered using some of the photos of our own cows... anyway, I loved that one so I was wondering where you got it! - Dori -

Lisa @ Fern Creek Cottage said...

That is one remarkable transformation!! The desk went from fuddy duddy to fabulous!! Your office is so beautiful! Love the huge map on the wall!

Unknown said...

Hi Cathy,
I love what you did with this desk...so pretty in that color. I taught school at a desk just like that for many years. They can't be beat...so sturdy and lots of storage inside. Just think of all the stories your desk could tell!
Enjoying your blog,
Cheryl

Unknown said...

Hi there! Where did you get the world map? It's awesome!