Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Cuttin' Wood...


Today's post is about some farm work - well, a lil' farm/home work.  When we built our new house a year ago - my hubby was really interested in an outdoor wood burning stove.
 So after much thought and a lot of research - we decided to go with it - our choice was a "Hardy" stove.
 Here on the farm - we practice tree conservation - my husband actually loves trees - and his favorite subject to teach - forestry, of course.  As with any farm - we have naturally fallen trees and trees which are considered "non desirable" so this helped us make the decision to invest in this type of heating.  We also have electric heat by the way.
So Saturday afternoon we got started on another load of wood. 
 Here comes Shaun pulling the wagon...
Casen pulled the wood splitter - a wonderful modern convenience I must say - much quicker than the ole' axe.
Cutting...
Loading...
Splitting...
ME loading...I didn't know anybody took this picture...
And a couple of hours later...
A full load of wood ready to heat the house as well as save lots of $$$$
I love to see Casen in his element - he so loves the woods and outdoors just like his dad.  Some of my best memories as a child were when I went with my mom, dad and sister to cut wood.  Mom would always pack a picnic lunch and we'd play and help when we could.  Those were fun days - I hope Casen enjoys his time with us as much as we enjoyed the time with our parents.


Hope everyone is off to a great new year.  I've got some projects underway - I'll be showing ya soon!

Cathy




1 comment:

Elizabeth and Gary said...

Happy New Year Cathy,
I have been catching up with you today, what beautiful Christmas trees you had and all the decorations were lovely and so festive. I always enjoy my visits with you. I can't believe how grown up your little Casen is. It's been fun watching him grow up through your posts. I think its wonderful that he loves to help out, I bet he really loves driving the farm equipment. Such a great way to grow up. My Grandson will be 8 in March boys are so fun. We had two daughters so having a grandson has really been delightful. I really love how your new home turned out everything about it is perfect just the type of home I would love to live in too.
Is your husband all healed now was it is hand that was hurt?.
Have a sweet day, Elizabeth